‘Tis the Season — To Enjoy a Seasonal Scrub!
I recently found a few hours all to myself (imagine that!), so I decided to indulge in a seasonal scrub from one of my favorite places, Milk + Honey Salon and Spa in the Hill Country Galleria. The treatment consisted of a shoulder to toe scrub using a delicious smelling combination of sugar, pumpkin seed powder, coconut oil, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. Application of the scrub was followed by a relaxing steam and massage. It was such a pleasure and my skin felt silky smooth afterward. I highly recommend it. Here are a few things to consider before you go:
• It’s not for the faint of heart. The treatment begins with a dry brushing to remove dead skin cells. It’s not exactly painful but it does sting a bit. If you have very sensitive skin you might ask your therapist to skip this step.
• Shave your legs the night before instead of the day of the treatment. Your skin will feel so smooth you won’t want it spoiled with razor stubble, but it’s best not to have any fresh nicks or cuts on the day of the scrub.
• If you have eczema, psoriasis, or lichen planus, this treatment is not for you – it could potentially worsen your condition. Ask a staff member to offer you a safer alternative.
• If you have an active infection such as staph, herpes, or ringworm, you’ll want to reschedule for after the problem has resolved. You wouldn’t want to risk spreading the infection or passing it to someone else.
• Treat your skin kindly for a few days afterward; lots of moisturizer and little else, as it will be more vulnerable immediately after treatment.
• To maintain your results, begin applying a lotion with alpha hydroxy acid 3-5 days after treatment. My favorite is Glytone Body Lotion with SPF 15. If you have a Clarisonic body brush you should be able to resume it a week after treatment.
• If you don’t have a Clarisonic, or can’t indulge in a full treatment right now, consider investing in a body polish like Replenix Clarifying Brightening Polish ($36), available in our office. Made with glycolic acid, salicylic acid, arbutin, green tea, and CoQ10, it’s a great option for achieving and maintaining silky smooth skin.